Web design and web development are two different things but seem similar to each other.
The reason for this is mainly cross-learning! In today’s highly competitive world, a developer cannot afford to stay aloof from what a designer does and vice versa. They happen to learn a few others’ tasks through mutual knowledge transfer that happens on the job.
This may somehow equip them with a general awareness of each other’s roles.
This is not actually because these terms convey the same meaning. It is because that the intention of most people searching for queries with these terms are interchangeable. Some times people use the term web designer to look for services that also involves web development and vice versa.
The Difference Between Web Design and Web Development
Whereas, web development involves programming and server-side functions that make the website functional.
- Web design is an artistic function
- Web designers make the site attractive
- They use programs such as Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Sketch, etc.
- They realize the client’s dream
- Web development is a technical function
- It includes server-side programming, database management, etc.
- Web developers make it interactive
- They work on IDEs or text editors, local servers, multiple browsers, FTP and other developer-specific programs.
- They realize the web designer’s dream
Process Involved in the Creation of Website
Briefing > Wireframe > Web Designing > Web Development > Testing
It all starts with the client’s briefing on their requirements.
The web designer listens to the requirement and prepares a wireframe* of the website.
Following approval, they then create page designs of the website
The web developer takes it up from there and transforms the designs into a working website.
The output is then put for testing to detect and correct flaws or bugs.
*A wireframe is a simple graphical representation of the user interface that serves as a guide to designing the layout of the website.
What do web designers do?
- He creates a prototype of the website by simulating the real functionalities
- He finalizes the UI and UX of the website and ensures it interests the site users and sticks to the client’s requirements
Design tools deployed by web designers:
Balsamiq/Mockplus for wireframe/prototype designing
Programming platforms used by web designers:
What do web developers do?
- The job of a developer starts after the design is created.
- He creates the internal structure of the website and makes it work
- He facilitates the transfer of data between the browser and the server
- He does the back-end programming of websites and other web applications
- He works closely with the web designers to make the website functional
- He is responsible for writing testable and efficient codes and must be proficient in server-side programming languages like Python, Ruby on Rails, PHP, Java, ASP, ASP.NET
- He should be specialized in database management systems such as MySQL, Oracle, etc.
Development tools deployed by web developers:
- ASP.NET Core
- Java EE
Programming platforms for web development:
Web development and web design are both together in the process of creations a great website. They are different in the skill-set required but they complement each other.
However, today we can see a rise in hybrid web professionals who break their comfort zone and train themselves in all areas of web building, earning the name of a full-stack developer. Yet there are times they fall short when it requires a high level of creativity or knowledge in programming.
In conclusion, web development companies have teams to design the websites separate from the team of developers who actually write the code for development.
Only when you understand the difference you can seek the right help with your website.