For any businessman, conquering the Internet often resembles conquering a new market, about which he knows almost nothing. And sometimes he doesn’t even know.
A lot of new terms, orders, their own laws. But we understand that creating a site is only 20% of success, the remaining 80% of success depends on its promotion.
The key element of promotion is SEO optimization, that is, the “tuning” of the site and its promotion in search engines.
When a businessman turns to promotion specialists, he is in unequal positions with them. He can only believe that in our time it is very expensive. Both in money and in time.
Yes, one article will not fundamentally change the situation. However, it seems to us that a collection of 100 SEO tips for small businesses will be very helpful. And feel free to add a link to this article in your bookmarks. The right moment always comes unexpectedly.
Table of Contents
100 SEO Tips For Small Businesses.
1. Not doing SEO means forgetting about visitors from search engines. If you don’t pay attention to SEO, search engines will not be able to identify your site and offer it to visitors.
2. You need to do both internal and external SEO optimization – you can’t achieve high results by doing something separately
3. Start doing SEO right now – the further you put it off, the more head start you will give competitors, and then you will need to try very hard to get around them in SEO issues
4. Find out your competitors – carefully study the sites of companies that are on the first page of the feed for thematic keywords.
5. An SEO strategy that works effectively for one site cannot guarantee a result when promoting another – because there are so many specific features
6. SEO does not have to be expensive – you can achieve significant results with little investment if you pay a lot of attention and time to the content of the site and building relationships online
7. SEO results are not instantaneous – SEO results may not appear for days, weeks, or months
8. The newer your site, the more patient you should be – building credibility and trust takes a lot of time, and while you are doing this, be prepared for the fact that temporarily preference will be given to more “adult” sites
9. Never assume that your site is created once and permanently – if you want your site to constantly gain weight and credibility, you need to deal with its updating and additions
10. Adapt the site to search for algorithms.
To get high positions in the feed, you need to focus your SEO strategy on possible changes to search engine algorithms
11. It is not necessary to inform search engines that you have created a new site, they will find out about it themselves
12. When promoting Google, use official Google recommendations – both in text and video format
13. Do not play “tricks” with Google – if the search engine notices any tricks or tricks in your SEO strategy, your website runs the risk of being punished, and the result is a loss of a significant proportion of potential visitors
14. Use special Google tools – this will allow you to first understand the problematic aspects of your site
15. Use the “Google Analytics” module – you can be aware of what visitors come to your site, for what keywords, where they come from, etc. You will also be aware of various dynamic indicators.
16. Install “Google+” – this improves the reputation for Google and helps to “win” higher positions for your site.
17. Diversify the sources of traffic to your site – today it is very disadvantageous to be 100% focused on only one (even the most popular) search engine
18. In addition to SEO, use contextual advertising – if you can afford both of these tools at the same time, do it so you can instantly provide your site with targeted visitors for any keywords
19. Low quality is comparable to high risk – if the external links to your site, as well as the internal content of the site are of poor quality, you may be subject to the sanctions of search engines
20. Create content for people, not search engines.
It makes no sense to promote content to high positions if it does not help people, does not interest them and does not convince you to buy from you
21. Delete duplicate content – you may be subject to sanctions if duplicate content is placed on different pages of your site
22. Delete or combine the pages of your site with a small amount of content that can be studied in just a few seconds – their presence can lower the position of your site in the search results
23. Do not copy content from other sites – if the search engines find that you borrowed content from other sites, they will lower your site in the search results or even exclude pages with copied content from the search results
24. Confirm authorship of your content – when you connect your site to “Google+” your content will be indexed faster
25. Make sure that your content is very good to be on the first page of search results – if your content is not so good compared to the content that is already on the first page of search results, your site does not deserve a place in the cherished “top ten”
26. Make your content fun for visitors – the more interesting it is, the longer visitors will stay on your site. Good time spent on a site tells search engines the high value of content
27. Create video content – it increases the time visitors spend on the site and allows you to receive links from sites that distribute video content
28. Create statistical content, ratings, graphics, info-graphics – visitors very much like to share links to this type of content
29. More content means higher position, more visitors and sales – search engines trust sites that have a lot of useful content on different pages.
30. Start a blog on your site.
This is the easiest and most effective way to add pages with new content to the site
31. Create content for publication on the pages of other sites and blogs – people will want to go to your site if you offer them useful and valuable content
32. Pay attention to content with a marketing component – if you create content without marketing topics, people will still search for it, and if they don’t find it, they won’t be able to share links with others
33. Create a unique descriptive title for each page – you have only 65 characters to deserve attention – both visitors and search engines
34. Prepare a unique description for each page – you have 160 characters to prepare a description that will tell you why it is beneficial for users of search engines to go to the pages of your site
35. Examine the list of keywords before you optimize the site for them – if you choose the wrong keywords, you won’t be able to convert visitors to buyers and customers
36. For keyword analysis, use the Google tooltip – you will get a good list of thematic keywords according to the assumptions that you set
37. Get ideas for keywords from other people – they (customers, employees, partners, friends, etc.) can look at your business from the other side and help to find other keywords
38. Focus on relevant keywords – the more your keywords are suitable for the information needs of the target audience, the easier and faster to increase it in search results, and the greater the percentage of visitors will turn into customers and buyers
39. Use keywords that contain commercial intentions – look for people who want to spend their money, not just looking for information
40. Long keywords are a great source of traffic.
It’s much faster (and cheaper) to promote your site with long keywords because more than 40% of visitors enter long search queries
41. Follow the rule “one keyword – one page”, this will facilitate the task of search engines to quickly index your site for the given “keys”
42. Use keywords in the right places – this is not the most decisive advice, however, before you buy a site name, remember that the keywords should be in the domain name, page headings, page descriptions, in-text headers, images and etc.
43. Do not overdo it with the amount of use of one keyword per page – excessive “affixing” can come up against penalties from search engines
44. Backlinks affect the position in the SERP more than anything else – the number and quality of links leading to the pages of your site will directly affect the position in the SERP
45. Do not stop activities to “attract” external links – there should not be any planned quantitative and qualitative indicators, link building is the default continuous process
46. Get backlinks from relevant resources – search engines are interested in displaying for visitors the most relevant to the search queries of thematic pages and sites
47. Get backlinks from trusted reputable sources (for example Wikipedia or an authoritative news site). Links from such sources will signal search engines about the high quality of your content
48. Be prepared for serious work to attract external links – as a general definition, the easier they get you, the less value they bring
49. Do not pay other people for links to your site – this is not only risky and not necessary if you are aimed at creating quality content and building trust – readers will leave links to your site themselves
50. Do not get involved in adventures with affiliate link networks.
The benefits of such links are minimal, but the risk of getting under penalties is very high
51. Diversify the external link mass – pay attention to the fact that it is very useful to have links of different types from different types of IP addresses
52. Target that external links to your site should lead to its different pages, depending on the keywords on which you promote them
53. Good trusting relationships with your existing client and partner base is a great way to get links to your site: just ask them to put a link to your site, and they will do it with pleasure
54. Aim for links from sites that previously linked to your competitors – if they have already done this in the past, you need to provide them with a reason for the next time the link goes to your site
55. Make sure that the link to your site is framed in the text containing the keyword by which you promote the page of your site. And so at least 25% of links from other sites should be designed
56. Most links to your site should be “branded” in nature (company name, domain name) – otherwise, search engines will suspect you of manipulating
57. Know those who refer to you – this can be done using special tools (for example, Google Webmaster Tools)
58. Subscribe to special services that provide access to extensive information on links to your website, as well as to competitors’ websites (for example Open Site Explorer, Majestic SEO, Ahrefs)
59. Each page of your site must contain a link to at least one other page of your site
From your home page to its key internal pages
61. Add on the content page links to similar material on other pages of your site
62. Get rid of unnecessary external links from your site – make sure that each external link leads to material useful to your target audience
63. Link to other related resources and blogs – the authors of these resources, having noticed your attention, are more likely to find an opportunity to refer to you in one of the upcoming publications
64. Comment on entries and publications of other thematic sites and blogs – this helps you build trusting relationships with the owners of such sites and their readership.
65. Interact with bloggers covering your field of activity – the more interesting your content, the more they will have a desire to share links to your publications
66. Support small companies in your industry – your warm relationship will be beneficial for both parties.
67. Distribute press releases, share news and opinions – this is a good way to promote content, thanks to which your site receives a large number of third-party inbound links
68. Give preference to communicating with customers over the phone instead of email – an email can easily be forgotten or ignored, and a personal call will be remembered for sure, and you will be sure that the client received all the necessary information
69. Use your site not only for direct sales but also for building trusting relationships – the more customers trust you, the more customers will speak about you only in positive tones
70. Add your address and telephone number on each page of the site, especially if you use keywords that target readers in a specific region
71. Subscribe to any thematic catalogs and mailings in your narrow business niche.
72. Ask customers to share opinions and reviews about your products using social networks and local territorial Internet resources
73. Different from your competitors.
If, in addition to optimizing your site, you are also working on alternative channels for attracting customers
74. Use your profiles on social networks to distribute content to other users as well as you do for yourself.
75. Add buttons on your website to distribute your content on social networks
76. Promotion on social networks is not a replacement for SEO. Your social media strategy is part of a comprehensive promotion strategy.
77. Search engines index pages of sites, not sites themselves – the quality of working with keywords on a particular page affects the rating of this particular page and not the entire site as a whole
78. Small business is quite capable of gaining higher positions in search results than large business – the size of the business is not affected by the ranking of search results
79. Always know what positions in the search results the pages of your site occupy – for this, use the special tools of the webmaster
80. Target TOP-3, and not just TOP-10 – if the page of your site is not in the TOP-3, it will have only about 10% of the likely traffic
81. Positions in search results are not the goal, because they still do not guarantee that the visitor will become a client
82. Do not get hung up on the PR indicator in Google – in search results sites with a lower PR may be ahead of sites with a higher PR
83. Choose between domains with www and without www – your site should open only in one of these options, and not both
84. Consider the structure of transitions on your site – each page of your site should open no more than three clicks from the main page
85. Use a simple and transparent URL.
People are able in the feed to give preference to a particular site only on the basis of attractiveness and clearness of the URL
86. Use tags in headings –your keywords and phrases should be present in headings H1 and H2
87. Use attractive and clear snippets – when studying websites in search results, users pay attention to the snippet text
88. Use “301 Redirect” – if you change the URL, but do not redirect from the old URL to the new one – links leading to the “old site” will be useless
89. Set up the useful page “error 404” on the pages of your website
90. Optimize images on pages – use keywords and phrases in the image title
91. Optimize your site for users of mobile phones, smartphones, and tablets
92. Always check the compatibility with the page extensions of a browser — your site should look correct in the main browsers and equally effectively with different extensions.
93. Bring the indicator of the speed of opening the pages of your site to the fastest mark
94. Collaborate with an experienced and high-quality hosting provider – if your site often “freezes” or is unavailable – this negatively affects the positions in the search results
95. Regularly save the content of your site in the archive (“back up”) – this will help you quickly (without suspicion from the search engines) restore all the data of your resource
96. Follow the latest news and trends in the field of SEO – subscribe to news updates of the main information sources in your field of activity
97. If you do not know something, do not be afraid to ask it – if you are interested in the answer to some questions in the field of SEO, please contact the professionals for this part.
98. Ask SEO consultants a lot of questions – if you want to hire an intelligent specialist and not take risks, you need to know all the necessary information about him
100. It is you who are responsible for safe and high-quality SEO tactics for your sites.